Overweight Divisible Load Provisions
|COMBINATION OVERSIZE/OVERWEIGHT DIVISIBLE LOAD PERMITS ARE AVAILABLE WHEN BOTH SIZE AND WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE MET:|
|Semi-Annual (180 Days)||--|
|Annual (365 Days)||--|
In circumstances where weight limitations are based on tire width, the manufacturer's size, as indicated on the sidewall will be used to determine maximum tire width.
Example. Tire sidewall reads: 265 R 22 265 is the metric width, to convert, multiply 265 by .04 which gives you 10.6. Your tire would be 10.6 inches wide.
OVERWEIGHT DIVISIBLE LOADS
An overweight divisible load permit may be issued for moving a combination of vehicles and loads exceeding the legal limits under the following conditions:
- The vehicle or combination of vehicles is properly registered for 78,001 to 80,000 pounds.
- The width of the vehicle does not exceed 8 feet 6 inches wide or 14 feet high.
- Configurations equipped with tires 11 inches wide or less will be allowed 450 pounds per inch of tire width.
- Configurations equipped with tires 11 inches wide or greater will be allowed 500 pounds per inch of tire width.
- All axles weighing more than 10,000 pounds are required to have at least four tires per axle.
- This does not apply to steering axles, self-steering variable load steering (VLS)/retractable axles, or wide base single tires (14 inch or greater as indicated by the manufacturer's sidewall rating).
- The following options are available:
- Dual tires on all axles
- Super wide single tires (14 inches wide or greater)
- Not to exceed 10, 000 pounds per axle
- The axle, groups of axles, and GVW do not exceed the Utah Bridge Table.
- The combination unit will conform to the Utah Bridge Table B Extended and the legal axle and gross vehicle weight limits.
VEHICLES TRANSPORTING LOGS FROM FOREST TO SAWMILL
Vehicles transporting logs or poles from forest to sawmill are exempt from size, weight, and load limitations:
- When moving upon a highway other than the national system of interstate and defense highways;
- If the gross vehicle weight does not exceed 80,000 pounds; and
- The vehicle or combination of vehicles are in compliance with UCA 72-7-404(01) and (2)(a).
For further information regarding Overweight Divisible Permit Provisions contact the Motor Carrier Division at (801) 965-4892 or (866) 215-5399, or the closest Port of Entry. Contact information can be found in the Utah Agency Directory Section, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.