Legal Weight Limitations
MAXIMUM WEIGHT LIMITATIONS FOR VEHICLES
The maximum gross and axle weight limitations are as follows and may not be operated in excess of:
|WHEEL, AXLE, GROSS||WEIGHT LIMITATION|
|Single Wheel||10,500 Pounds|
|Single Axle||20,000 Pounds|
|Tandem Axle||34,000 Pounds|
|Tridem Axle||See Bridge Table|
|Gross Vehicle Weight||80,000 Pounds|
An overweight permit must be obtained to authorize any exception to the maximum weight limitations listed above.
A highway authority may prohibit the operation of any vehicle or impose restrictions on the weight of a vehicle upon any highway under its jurisdiction. UCA 72-7-408
Violation of the authorized weight limitation is a class B misdemeanor and is punishable by either/or:
- $50 plus the sum of the overweight axle fines calculated as noted in the table below; or
- $50 plus the gross vehicle weight fine calculated as noted in the table below.
|NUMBER OF POUNDS OVERWEIGHT||AXLE FINE
(cents per pound for each overweight axle)
|GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT FINE
(cents per pound)
|1 - 2,000||0||0|
|2,001 - 5,000||4||5|
|5,001 - 8,000||5||5|
|8,001 - 12,000||6||5|
|12,001 - 16,000||7||5|
|16,001 - 20,000||9||5|
|20,001 - 25,000||11||5|
|25,000 or more||13||5|
Note: Bridge violations are calculated as gross weight fines.
Exception: Title 23: 658.17(k). Passenger buses may carry 24,000 lbs. on each axle provided they do not exceed manufacturer tire load ratings. This section exempts them from the 34,000 lb. tandem and bridge limitations.
In circumstances where weight limitations are based on tire width, the manufacturer's size, as indicated on the sidewall will be used to determine maximum tire width for divisible loads only. This provision does not apply to non-divisible loads.
- The maximum allowable load for nonpermitted/legal vehicles, no tire shall exceed 600 pounds per inch of tire width as indicated on the sidewall.
- Tire loading on vehicles requiring an overweight or oversize permit shall not exceed 500 pounds per inch of tire width for tires 11 inches wide and greater.
- Tires less than 11 inches wide shall not exceed 450 pounds per inch of tire width.
Example: Tire sidewall reads: 265 R 22 265 is the metric width, to convert, multiply 265 by .04 which gives you 10.6. Your tire would be 10.6 inches wide.
BRIDGE, SEASONAL ROAD RESTRICTIONS
Bridges with rated capacities less than the maximum legal limit in Utah have gross weight restrictions posted. A highway authority may prohibit the operation of any vehicle or impose restrictions on the weight of a vehicle upon any highway under its jurisdiction. UCA 72-7-408
VARIABLE LOAD AXLES
- No more than three fixed axles shall be allowed in any group. Retractable or variable load suspension (VLS) axles installed after January 1990 shall be self-steering on power units and when augmenting a tridem group on trailers.
Non-divisible loads may be exempt from these restrictions with written approval from the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT).
- No axle in a group with a retractable or VLS axle shall exceed legal or bridge formula weight requirements, or the manufacturers tire rating.
- Controls for raising and lowering retractable or VLS axles may be located in the cab of the power unit, but the controls regulating pressure to such axles shall be positioned outside the cab so as to be inaccessible to the driver when the vehicle is in motion.
For further information regarding Maximum Legal Weight Limitations contact the Motor Carrier Division at (801) 965-4892 or (866) 215-5399, or the closest Port of Entry. Contact information can be found by clicking on the Utah Agency Directory Section, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.